Monday, June 30, 2008

Zippy

I love this book. It is one of my favorites. The writing style is so simple and beautiful. Haven Kimmel is a talented author and I would recommend all of her books to you all. I pull this book out whenever I need a good laugh, or a happy cry for that matter.

My favorite part of this book is Zippy's relationship with her father. You can tell that they had an extremely special bond. The chapter where she gives him the dog for Father's Day always makes me cry; so does the letter at the end. The story seems really kind of choppy, but it works together well too. I really appreciate that this book is a memoir of a happy childhood, instead of a recounting of really tragic circumstances.

Although Zippy seems self centered, she really is just a kid trying to figure out her place in the world. I think it is hard for her to see other people's perspective, but she is constantly trying to figure out how she fits into their lives. She has a good heart and really takes care of those she loves.

5 comments:

Heather said...

I too loved the daughter/father relationship! As unconventional as their parenting might have been it seemed like it worked! :0) She seemed happy and you could tell her parents loved her :0)

Jen said...

I agree that it was good to read about a happy childhood. It was refreshing and sweet and I felt I could relate to her in a way.

Anonymous said...

I thought the book was fun and it made me laugh. I too could relate to some of the things that happened. It is a book I would recommend to others.

Anonymous said...

Oops I forgot to sign my comment. The previous comment was from Marie.

Lindsey said...

Okay, I admitted earlier that I didn't read Zippy, but I just finished it. . .hurray! I really liked it. Her stories were so funny and made me laugh out loud. I have already recommended it to others. It was a fun, lighthearted read! Good choice?