Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Memory Keeper's Daughter

Any thoughts on The Memory Keeper's Daughter?

I thought it was a pretty good read. It seemed a little long at times. I enjoyed her writing, but I kind of got sick of how descriptive she was, such as taking a whole page to describe a leaf or something. Moving on, about the story: I thought it was interesting how David gave Phoebe away to avoid having his wife feel the grief of having a child who could possibly die young and yet she still felt grief. I think as a woman, whether your child dies at birth or ten years later, it still hurts and will always be a part of you. Something the good doctor just didn't understand. To be honest, I think Phoebe was better off with Caroline anyway. I think she was a good mom, a little overbearing, but who wouldn't be? The Henry's had too much baggage even before the babies came, they wouldn't have put the time into Phoebe's schooling as Caroline did (if they even kept her). What do you think?

Any requests for next month?

1 comment:

Sara said...

I vote that we read "The Secret Life of Bees" next month. It's a good book, and I think most people will like it. The language is a little rough, but overall a good message I think. You choose though Jen, keeper of the books.